Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Great Kess

I just got off the phone with my Uncle Kess. For those of you who have read this blog in the past, you might recognize the name. His wife is my Aunt Edna. She passed away about two months ago. I was able to visit with them during her last week as she fought like the tough ol' bird she was, tenaciously hanging onto life. The time I spent with them was very powerful and moving. I remember thinking how nice it would be to have a homeopathic remedy to help with that greatest of all transitions.

Kess is doing alright. He openly stated before Edna died that he wished he could follow closely behind. But, as many of us know, the spirit is more dogged than the body. And as the body fails, all too often the spirit refuses to go willingly. I asked if he'd been spending any time up at the lake, his favorite place to pass the time. He said he had, but that he really needed help, pretty much all the time. His voice still echoes in my mind as he asked, "Do you know anyone that might be able to help me out up there?" I winced inwardly as I changed the subject.

Kess and Edna hold a very special place in my heart. All of my grandparents passed away before I was ten. Kess and Edna became surrogate grandparents, and I was a supplemental grandchild for them. I wish I could transplant my family to Texas for a month, just to be with him. But my seven year old has school and now my three year old has started pre-school. My wife has her career keeping her busy. And I've just started a new school year. I feel like I can't do anything for him but send him good energy and hope for the best.

I guess back when families stayed close together, the different relationships that developed across generations and marriages served to provide support in a multitude of situations. Today, the distance between family can prevent much of this.

I'll never forget the conversation I had with him back when I was about my oldest daughter's age. I had asked my mom just how I was related to Kess. She told me he was my great uncle. When I saw Kess later that day, I asked him, "Since you're my great uncle, should I call you Great Uncle Kess?"

His reply is a classic that he's long since forgotten. "Nah, you can just call me Great Kess."

I love that old guy.

No comments: