Monday, August 21, 2006

Self-defense for the Classroom Teacher

Once the school year starts, I'm always on the watch for the slightest sign of a cold. If you've ever put yourself in front of a classroom full of pre-teens and just barely teenagers, you know how demanding it can be. With a cold, you've hardly got a chance. The nice thing about teaching is that you can take a sick day if necessary. But usually the sub that comes in can't really move the class forward like it needs to. Many of us have learned to try to suck it up and tough out those days where we feel under the weather for the sake of our students' education (such martyrs, aren't we?).

Ever since I started working with King Bio, I always keep his Cold and Flu homeopathic remedy in my desk drawer. Typically a sickness, like the cold, follows a predictable pattern. For me, I get that tiny sore throat way in the back of my mouth. This lasts for about twelve hours. Then I get a bit of a runny nose and some sinus pressure. From there, I get the full blown cold. If I catch that cold early on in the sore throat stage, and dose myself up with my homeopathic, I often can fit off that sickness entirely! And, if I catch it just a bit late, taking that remedy helps soften and shorten the cold.

I can't tell you how many times these homeopathic remedies have saved me. If you're interested in the homeopathics I use, leave a comment and I'll get back to you. You can also order off the company's website www.kingbio.com.

One note of caution for all you first year teachers just getting started: there's precious little you can do for your sweet untested immune system. Get ready to be sick. Consider it a rite of passage for the uninitiated teacher. But on the flip side, once you make it through that first year, your immune system will be rock solid!

Good luck all you teachers out there. I know first hand just how valuable your service is to our children. Just remember when things get tough, we are literally saving these kids' lives by giving them the tools they need to succeed!

No comments: