Sunday, August 27, 2006

My rebirth.

Back in May, right towards the end of the school year, my life took a drastic turn. I'm not going to share all the lurid details. Suffice it to say that I reached a personal crossroads. Continue blindly and recklessly on the path I'd been on for the last several years, or make some changes and try to get back on the right path. Thankfully, with the help of a supportive wife and family, I was able to create meaningful and powerfully transformative change that has enhanced nearly every aspect of my life.

If you've never heard of the Great Smokies Medical Center, you're not alone. It's a small clinic in the mountains of western North Carolina that specializes in treatment of the whole patient rather than just the symptoms. The nice thing about the GSMC is that it doesn't reject traditional medicine in favor of alternatives. It understands that traditional medicine has a role to play in creating and maintaining health. What's unique about the GSMC's approach is that it works to get at the root of what's causing the symptoms the patient is experiencing rather than just suppressing the sypmtoms with pharmaceuticals. Then, if the root of the problem needs traditional or alternative methods of treatment, they have both at their disposal.

For the last seven years I'd been experiencing dramatic mood shifts that had been negatively affecting my relationships. I was very aware of these mood shifts, hated them, wanted to avoid them, but I just didn't know how. For years my basic approach was to maintain a high level of hydration by drinking enormous amounts of water. Seriously, I drank over 140 ounces of water a day! That's like drinking twelve soda cans of water. For the most part, this helped my moods be even. But when I'd let my water levels slip, even a little, usually between getting home from teaching and eating dinner, I'd end up getting grumpy and creating a negative space around bedtime. This couldn't last. It had far reaching negative effects.

A friend of our recommended the Great Smokies Medical Center. (http://www.gsmcweb.com/) I went and spoke with one of their nurse practicioners. Pam was amazing. She took my health history and lined me up for some (expensive!) tests. I initially balked at spending so much on the tests, but went ahead and did it. My wife and I sweated out the time between taking the tests and getting the results. On the day I was to get my results we even had a fight about the process. We both were desperate to see that something was wrong with me and that we could do something to create a change in my behavior. Worst case scenario would be having spent all that money and then the doc says, "Hey, you're fine! I don't know what's wrong. Let's take more tests!"

Luckily, something was wrong. Long analysis short, my neurotransmitter levels were way out of whack. "It's a wonder you're not crawling out of your skin," Pam told me, much to my relief. For some reason, it was so reassuring to know that there was a physiological reason for my emotional instability.

She started me on an extensive and expensive regimen of vitamins, amino acids, and other good stuff that has truly created those changes I was so desperate to make. I'm probably spending over $150 a month on these supplements, but if they make my moods more stable, it's all worth it. In fact, it's difficult to put a price tag on saving one's marriage. These supplements were worth it.

My moods are even. I don't have to drink such enormous amounts of water anymore. I'm much more patient with my little girls. And it's not that I've become a mellow zombie. I still am enjoyable and laugh freely. I probably laugh more now! In many aspects, my life has transitioned onto a much more positive and hopeful path. I feel full of hope and excitement about my future, both personally, professionally, and most importantly with my family.

I truly am living the life I always wanted, and I am blessed to live it with those I love.

Be well, my friends.

No comments: