Tuesday, September 12, 2006

My new and improved brain chemistry (and a less gross title for this entry!)

As many of you already know, I've been getting help from the Great Smokies Medical Center in an attempt at solving some of the health concerns that brought my life to the brink of disaster fairly recently. After much consternation, worry, and a test of my urine, Pam, the wonderful nurse practitioner, decoded my results and proclaimed that, yes, my brain was suffering under a variety of neurotransmitter imbalances. She started me on a regimen of amino acids and vitamins that subsequently turned my urine consistently into the color of a glow stick while at the same time provided me with a modicum mood stabilization.

Well, today, three months later, I took the next step towards wellness. I packed off the latest collection of my urine after a twelve hour fast and a limiting of my liquids. Dealing with a class full of seventh graders without having eaten wasn't as bad as doing it without having rehydrated that morning! Anyways, around 9:30 I was able to follow through with the very specific sample collection instructions and, utilizing our amazing postal service, sent my tiny vial off to the NeuroScience labs somewhere in Florida.

The hope is that by having taken the supplements Pam at the Great Smokies Medical Center had prescribed, my body (namely my adrenals and thyroid) would begin producing the necessary neurotransmitters at the appropriate levels on their own again. It would be nice to reduce the amount of supplements I've been taking. But then again, seeing as how those supplements have truly saved my marriage and made me a better and more patient father, if I have to take them for the rest of my life, it's a small price to pay.

In about three weeks I should get my results back. I'm crossing my fingers that my body has decided to cooperate. We'll see. I promise to keep you updated.

Be well.

No comments: